Monday, November 21, 2016

Movies in Review: "The Edge of Seventeen"

I love a good coming of age comedy, and the trailer had me written all over it. I think I was anticipating this movie more than most people. Every time I watched the trailer I think I laughed out loud, and I was hoping the movie was as good as the trailer. Not to mention it starred Woody Harrelson, who I love, and Hailee Steinfeld, whose work I respect. I was in the mood for a feel good movie, and was hoping this could deliver.

I adored Steinfeld's performance in this role. She was great as the awkward teen Nadine trying to find out where she fits in. There was so much emotion in this film that I could relate to even at the late age of 40...smh. I was expecting Harrelson to have more of a goofball role, but it was nothing like that, and he was still perfect. The role fit him so well and didn't feel like he was trying or acting. His chemistry with Steinfeld made for some of the best comical scenes. However my favorite interactions were definitely the ones between Steinfeld and the young man who had a crush on her played by Hayden Szeto. Szeto was the best and had me smiling in every scene he was in. The characters made this film everything that is was and a joy to watch.

I would say I got everything I expected from this movie. It had a great story, interesting characters, emotion, and good humor. I think everyone can find something to love and take away from this film. It's one of those movies you don't necessarily need to run to the theater to see, but wouldn't be mad that you did...B+

No comments:

Post a Comment