Monday, November 21, 2016

Movies in Review: "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them"

So I honestly felt I would enjoy this film, totally overlooking the fact that it is related to The Harry Potter films, which I was never a fan of. However when I watched the trailer, unlike the Potter films, it definitely appealed to me. It helped that Eddie Redmayne was in the lead as Newt Scammander. I'm a fan of Redmayne's work, and couldn't see myself passing over a film he was in. Not to mention Colin Farrell was featured. Someone I'm also a fan of and who I'm rooting for a career comeback. This movie has been receiving high remarks from critics, so I was expecting to enjoy it.

I can say I did enjoy it, however I didn't love it as much as I thought I would. The movie felt a bit all over the place at times. There were way too many magical creatures that took away from the live characters in the story. Although visually beautiful and appealing, there was just way too much magic for my taste. Maybe it's because I didn't find the magic to be extraordinary, and sometimes just annoying at times. I found myself wanting to dose off more than once, but didn't for fear I'd miss something amazing, but that never happened. There were some entertaining scenes, but there were also some lack luster performances that too away from the film. My favorite characters were Jacob Kowalski the No-Maj and Queenie Goldstein. They were the best parts about the movie for me. I thought the creatures would be more interesting, but there were just too many of them for really have interest in any one in particular ~shrugs.


The movie was just ok for me, but I'm probably not the best judge since I had no interest in the Potter series. I would say that if you plan to see it, seeing on TV would do it no justice as there are some nice visual scenes that need to be experienced on the big screen...B-

No comments:

Post a Comment