Monday, August 29, 2016

Movies in Review: "Southside with You"

Ok so a movie about FLOTUS & POTUS's first date? No question I was going to be in the theaters to catch this. They are one of my favorite couples, and I had to see how this story played out. When I watched the trailer, there was something so endearing about their first date, but I expected nothing less. Not to mention the actors cast in these lead roles gave me chills. Tika Sumpter and Parker Sawyers definitely emulated the younger versions of their real life characters. I had high expectations for this film, and didn't doubt that they would be met.

I absolutely loved this story. Keep in mind the entire movie is about their first date, so to some, the movie may move a bit slow. I found the pace helped in the experience of their date. I love the camera shots and attention paid to subtle details. It gave the movie a light and refreshing feel, but also added to the story. 

Now let’s get to the actors. Where in the hell did they find Parker Sawyers??? It felt like he was made for this role. They couldn't have chosen a better actor. I was seriously wondering if Obama had a son that they cast to play him in this movie, like Ice Cube did in Straight Outta Compton. Yes the similarities were scary. Felt like it was actually the young Obama, from every word, move, and puff of his cigarette. It was amazing. Sumpter was also great as Michelle Obama. Her demeanor and poise was on point. My only complaint would be that she was trying way too hard to sound like her that it would take away from her performance. It was a little annoying at times, but didn't ruin the movie. She was still a great choice for the role.


I couldn't have been more pleased with this film. It is all that you want it to be. It is everything you'd expect from their first date. Such a beautiful beginning. Movie had me smiling inside and out...A+

No comments:

Post a Comment