Monday, June 27, 2016

Movies in Review: "Independence Day: Resurgence"

I absolutely loved the original Independence Day, and was excited to see the trailer for the sequel, until I noticed there was no Will Smith in it...Huh? Kind of a big move to proceed with a sequel without having your star from the first film involved. Needless to say, by the time the trailer ended with no Will Smith in sight, I was less excited about the movie and more annoyed. I did not want to see this movie at all, and I should have went with my instincts and passed on it.

It was evident Will's presence wasn't there and they tried to fill the void with Liam Hemsworth and Jesse Usher, which didn't work, especially Jesse Usher, he was awful. I was more annoyed with the new young additions than entertained. Thankfully though, the remainder of the cast from the sequel reprised their roles, like Jeff Goldblum, and Judd Hirsh who plays Goldblum's father, also the crazy scientist from the first film played by Brent Spiner. They kept the movie entertaining. The visuals were amazing as always, even better than the first, but the new characters definitely killed it for me. Vivica Fox reprised her role, but she only had about 2 scenes that lasted about 10 secs each...smh...poor Vivica.


This movie could have used Smith. His absence was felt throughout the film, it definitely wasn't the same. With Smith this movie would have been a box office smash, and although it did well at the box office this weekend, I still don't think it's going to come close to the sales of its predecessor...C+

No comments:

Post a Comment