Monday, June 27, 2016

Movies in Review: "Free State of Jones"

I wasn't excited to see this movie, but I did have some interest in the story. Some people are tired of seeing anything that pertains to slavery, or has a slavery story line. I on the other hand don't mind them as much. Some of these movies shed light on a part of history I was unaware of, such as this one about Newton Knight and his armed rebellion against the Confederacy. I enjoyed the trailer, and McConaughey even more. So unlike most movie-goers, I was going to give this one a chance.

It was indeed a very interesting story. Story takes place during the Civil War around 1862. I am no one’s history aficionado by any means, and true stories like these always blow my mind. The fight and the story behind the defeat of the confederacy, this movie wasn't just about slavery. But slavery will always be an underlying story because that's where we were at that time. I enjoyed the performances, especially McConaughey, but the story lacked in power. I was definitely expecting a bit more. It kind of fell flat for me at the end, but still wasn't a bad movie in my opinion. I just wish it was stronger.


All in all not a bad movie. I enjoyed being introduced to the story of Newton Knight, and found it quite fascinating. I'm sure the book has more depth than the movie, but the movie wasn't a horrible interpretation...B

No comments:

Post a Comment