Monday, August 17, 2015

Movies in Review: "Straight Outta Compton"

So it seems everyone was excited to see this movie when the trailer hit theaters. I think I must have been the only person who wasn't. Honestly I thought the film was gonna be nonsense. I wasn't a fan of hip-hop in the 80's, I was definitely a RnB head. I'm not ashamed to admit I knew nothing about NWA except the few times I'd see them on MTV. I remember always thinking, why are these grown men walking around with Jheri Curls?...and why are they so damn angry? That is all that I thought about the group. So of course I couldn't really see why a movie about them was necessary...~shrugs

Kudos to the man F. Gary Gray for directing another movie hit. To my surprise Straight Outta Compton was #1 at the box office. I was definitely expecting this movie to flop. I honestly went into the theater ready to be bored to death, but an hour in, not one bit of disinterest. My eyes were glued to the screen as nostalgia took over. I admit I didn't know much about the group, but they and their music weren't unknown to me. The story behind the music was kinda phenomenal to watch. I thought this film would be dull, but I was more than entertained. The actors were chosen perfectly for each character. O'Shea Jr. really did his pops justice. It's felt like I was watching Cube himself. It was great that the actors resembled, and at least sounded like the characters they were playing. Who else was shook by the actor portraying Suge Knight? Dre worked with a number of artists, and some make appearances in the film as well, which made for a great story. It was nice to see how talented and smart these guys, looked at as thugs, really were. I had no idea. Although hard to watch, it was interesting to see them struggle with Policing. I think F. Gary Gray did a great job of reminding us how in over 20yrs, not much has changed.

Now can we talk about the music...Wooooh! I forgot how much I enjoyed Dr. Dre's beats, as I sit here listening to NWA now...I was bopping my head all through this movie. I was worried that 2.5 hours of my life was going to be wasted, but when the credits rolled, I sat in my seat until the lights came up. It seems I didn't want it to end...A-

No comments:

Post a Comment