Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Movies in Review: "Ricki and the Flash"

I do love me some Meryl Streep. In my opinion she can do no wrong. Her acting abilities is some of the best in the game, and she's definitely one of my faves. I was more than looking forward to this movie. I adored the trailer, and knew Meryl Streep would not disappoint.

Well I got one thing right, Meryl Streep didn't disappoint, but the movie did. Streep deserves all the praise as Ricki. She played the hell out of a struggling musician, and distant Mother. She wasn't the problem, nor were any of the other actors. The problem was that there was just too much damn music, and not enough story. It felt like I was at a concert I had no desire to attend. Don't get me wrong, the music was great, but I came to see a movie, not a concert...smh. We only got about 35min of a story, which were the best parts of the movie. Streep's real life daughter played her daughter in the film and she was my favorite character. Her emotions were so raw and real. I enjoyed this mother/daughter team. I wish they went more in-depth with the family issues, instead of the music.

This movie definitely had the potential to be better, if the focus wasn't so centered around the music. The cast outside of the band deserved more shine in the story. There was 35min of excellence, and a mini concert filled the rest of the running time...smh...C+

No comments:

Post a Comment