Monday, November 24, 2014

Movies in Review: "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1"

I have a love/dislike relationship with this Hunger games trilogy. I absolutely loved the first installment, and greatly anticipated the sequel, only to leave the theater very disappointed :/. So when the marketing started for this last 2 part installment, I was a little less than thrilled. I mean the second one left me extremely vexed with the killing of Cinna, played by Lenny Kravitz...smh. The rest of the movie also left little to be desired, but although I could have been more excited about this 3rd movie, I figured it couldn't be as bad as the 2nd...Right!?

O.M.G...I was pleasantly pleased by the Mockingjay. Totally different from the first 2 movies. The storyline really gets moving in this film, and tackles the political side of whats going on. Jennifer Lawrence is better than ever as our Mockingjay, Katniss. This movie doesn't have as much action as the first 2 installments, but the actions scenes in the film seem to take on a more relevant and powerful meaning. President Snow is nothing to mess with and his "toying" with Katniss kept me on the edge of my seat. This movie is also a lot darker than the other 2 movies. There is very little color in any scenes, mostly greys, black, and white. I looked forward to Effie's fun and colorful outfits, but you will see none of that here. They kept her character within the limits of the revolution that was happening. But her "make it work" outfits were still fun, and what you would expect from her character...lol.

This one had me more interested in the characters and the districts more than the first 2. Now we are getting somewhere. I was left on the edge of my seat, and I can't wait to see how this story will finally end...A-

No comments:

Post a Comment