Monday, December 9, 2013

Movies in Review: "Out of the Furnace"

I found the trailer for this movie to be riveting with an exceptional cast that includes Christian Bale, Casey Affleck (who is secretly one of my favorite underrated actors), and Woody Harrelson (who has some of the best acting versatility in my opinion). After seeing the trailer, it definitely looked like a thriller that shouldn't be missed. However, I left the theater feeling a little ho-hum.

I didn't hate this movie, but the beginning killed a little of my excitement. This movie started out way too slow, and was a little all over the place with character development. It felt like I was getting bits and pieces of random parts of the story. For example, was it really necessary to spend so much time on Bale's character's incarceration. It provided very little to the story. I think time could have been spent more on Affleck's character Rodney. I also wished Harrelson's character was introduced earlier. He was the most thrilling part about the movie, along with Rodney. However, the movie did get better once his character came into the story.

As slow as this movie was, it did make an impact. The thrills were few, but powerful. It was weird because I found myself a little bored, but on the edge of my seat at the same time...lol. Some of you may give up on it within the first 25min, but if you sit tight, this movie does get better. I loved the way it ended, except for the very last scene. Could someone explain to me what the last scene meant? Smh

I wouldn't classify this film as a "must see", but it was interesting enough to watch. Honestly it felt like a movie I would have enjoyed better on my couch, instead of in the movie theater. It is well worth watching for Harrelson alone, but totally your decision if you want to pay a movie ticket price for it...B-

2 comments:

  1. I really agree. I watched this on my couch and when it was over I thought "I enjoyed that" but I was kinda glad I hadn't purchased a movie ticket for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right...not that it was bad, it's just not something you want to spend your money on if you don't have to, but something that is def worth checking out. Thanks for reading Nik!

    ReplyDelete