Monday, December 2, 2013

Movies in Review: "Oldboy"

Who doesn't enjoy a good Spike Lee movie? You know his films are always filled with good fun, and controversy...who doesn't enjoy controversy?...lol. When I saw the trailer for this movie, I was surprised to see that it was directed by Spike Lee. Didn't really look like a "Spike Lee" type of movie. Am I the only one who thought that? Regardless it starred Josh Brolin, who has worked his way up to being one of my favorite actors, and Samuel Jackson, so I was down to see it. I got word that this was a remake of a foreign film, which immediately lowered my expectations for this one. Remakes are never usually as good as the originals.

True to form, this one wasn't great. I haven't seen the original, but it has to be better than this. This movie didn't fit Lee's filming style, and just looked odd. The action scenes played out like an overactive video game, and the story was too strange for words. There were parts of the story that were way too undeveloped, like the client Brolin's character met with before he was kidnapped. It seemed like his character should have a had more of an impact with the story, but it didn't. The whole captivity thing was strange and boring. And the asian woman with the umbrella? What was her purpose?...smh.

By the time the movie ended, I was asking myself why Lee felt it necessary to remake this movie, because it felt like things were omitted, or needed to be added. This remake was a waste of money and time. I was really hoping Lee was going to knock this one out of the park, but I wasn't impressed. Believe me if you go see this one you may enjoy bits and pieces, but by the end you will find yourself shaking your head and sucking your teeth...C-

No comments:

Post a Comment