Monday, December 16, 2013

Movies in Review: "Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom"

At first glance at the theatrical trailer, I was a little apprehensive about the film only because Idris Elba was cast as the lead. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Elba, but I couldn't really see him as Mandela. Well that was my first reaction, because by the time the trailer ended, I was sold, and couldn't wait to see his performance.

Mr. Elba did his thing. It took a little adjusting though at first because in the opening scene we meet the younger Mandela, but all I could see was Idris, with his swag and walk. However after a few minutes into the story, all I could see was Mandela. Elba did his thing. His performance as the incomparable Mandela was one of his best performances to date. His South African accent was perfect. I also enjoyed the performances of all the co-stars, especially Naomie Harris as Winnie Mandela.

I enjoyed the story, but it felt like they tried to include too much of Mandela's life in one movie. I think they wasted too much time showing his infidelity and lust for women. There was a lot of time focused on EVERYTHING in his life. I believe the story could have been edited better without anything being missed. The make up was also a problem for me. Especially when they aged Mandela and his comrades. They looked plastic, and green...smh. They could have done a better job with the make up.

Overall I enjoyed the film. It was a little long, but still compelling. Some of the scenes were definitely hard to watch. As the title reads, it was a very long walk to freedom...B

No comments:

Post a Comment