Monday, November 25, 2013

Movies in Review: "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire"

Well there was no question who would top the box office in ticket sales this week. There was nothing that came close to topping ticket sales for the latest installment of The Hunger Games. Teenage girls lined up in droves to see Katniss Everdeen back in play. I know because the theater I went to see this installment was full of tweens who wouldn't hush it up so I could enjoy my movie...Uuughhh...smh...Anyway...I was pleased with the theatrical trailer for Catching Fire, and was excited to see what would happen in this second installment. However I think it was wrong of me to have the same expectations of the first...

Catching Fire started out slower than I had anticipated as we meet the winner of the 74th Hunger Games Katniss Everdeen feeling defeated. Her character was so strong in the first movie, it was hard watching her just give up and give in. I don't know, but the characters in this new installment didn't really seem to connect and draw the audience in. For example how many of us fell in love with Rue, and despised most of the other Hunger Game contestants. There was nothing like that here. All we had a chance to see was a new round of "old" contestants, but we were given little background about any of them.

I felt a few of the characters were underused. I thought the contestant with the razor teeth would have been used more in the Game scenes, but I only saw her character once. Jeffery Wright's character Beetee was interesting, but he wasn't used enough for anyone to actually care about him. Even the characters we loved from the first movie were slighted. I definitely could have used more of Haymitch's drunken banter or Effie's bubbling personality. Unfortunately the movie focused too much on Katniss Everdeen. Even the games themselves were a bore as we watched the contestants lose to the elements of mother nature than fighting among each other.

One of the only interesting parts in this movie for me were the costumes. They really outdid themselves in this installment. Effie of course had the best costumes, which is one reason I wish there were more scenes with her in it...lol. The overall visuals were cool, but nothing spectacular. Some things were kind of a repeat from the first movie...eh.

I had hoped to like this movie so much more than I did. When it ended, the credits rolled, and I was shaking my head. I'm guessing this installment of the film keeps in line with the story, but in my opinion it could have used more embellishment...B-

No comments:

Post a Comment