Monday, November 18, 2013

Movies in Review: "The Book Thief"

I had no interest in seeing this movie, which is based on a novel of the same name. It didn't seem to have anything special going on with it, but it was Geoffrey Rush who made me think that maybe it would be worth it. Geoffrey Rush has become one of my favorite actors after seeing his performance in The King's Speech. Unfortunately I have seen very little starring any of the other actors in the film.

I am happy that I put my trust in Rush, because he was pure perfection as the adoring foster parent Hans. Hans takes a lot of loving grief from his wife Rosa played by Emily Watson, who was also remarkable. You will find sheer entertainment watching the interaction between these two. I have never heard of the young Canadian actress who plays Liesel (the book thief), but her performance sparked an interest to see her again. My favorite character by far was Rosa, and Rudy. Rudy is the cutest thing ever, and he made the movie more interesting than it would have been.

There is not a great deal of excitement, just a well written script, and a great cast performance. I loved the narration given in the movie, and how the film played out like a well written book. I'm sure many of you may not have heard of this movie, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth seeing...B+

No comments:

Post a Comment