Monday, October 14, 2013

Movies in Review: "Captain Phillips"

Tom Hanks can do nothing wrong in my book, and I would go see any movie he is cast to be in. With that being said, he was the only reason I went to see Captain Phillips. There was nothing really spectacular about the trailer in my opinion, except Hanks. As long as he was in it, I knew I wouldn't be totally disappointed. And I wasn't...at least not totally...

In my opinion, there was nothing really special about this story to make it into a 2+ hour movie. This story is more interesting for a book, than a big screen production. Nonetheless, it was still interesting to watch for the most part. The movie had a good pace at the beginning when we are introduced to Hanks character, and the Somali pirates. There were some nice suspense scenes that kept the film afloat, but the movie slowed down drastically once Captain Phillips and the pirates were on the life boats. The scenes until the climax at the end, consisted of yelling, some random gun firing, and Captain Phillips trying to reason ever so calmly with the pirates. This is where the movie could have used some sharp editing, and cut the running time for this movie by at least 25min...smh. It's not a good sign when you find yourself dosing off.

Hanks was great as Captain Phillips, and it is your investment in the outcome of his character that will ride this movie out until the end. The major climax scene at the end did have me on the edge of my seat. Things were getting super tense...lol.

I got exactly what I expected from this movie. It was decent enough, but the running time was its downfall for me. But overall it wasn't bad...B

No comments:

Post a Comment