Monday, October 21, 2013

Movies in Review: "12 Years a Slave"

Movies based from true stories are one of my favorite movies to watch. But the theatrical trailer for this movie had me readily anticipating it's release. With the outstanding cast, this movie looked like a winner. There was no doubt that I would get my monies worth for my ticket purchase. Hmmmmm...I feel like I owe them change, because I got way more than the money I paid.

If I could explain to you how powerful this film was, I think my heart would explode on this screen. Let me just tell you, I saw the movie more than 3 days ago, and my soul is still shaken by it. Chiwetel Ejiofor should be getting high praise and awards for his performance as Solomon Northup. The whole cast should for that matter. I have never in my life seen such a powerfully directed film. There are scenes that are purposely shot to take hold of your soul (ex. Plat hanging). I'm not gonna give you too much, but you might find yourself crying or screaming out loud at the subjects presented in the movie. Every scene is directed to capture an emotion. I honestly was exhausted, and in emotional pain when I left the theater.

This was by far one of the best movies I have seen this year. I would definitely say this is a MUST SEE, but this isn't for the faint of heart. Don't go to see this if you are an emotional wreck. I wouldn't recommend going to see it alone either because you might need a friend to help laugh you out of that angered state you may find yourself in. I loved it so much I would want to see it again, but this is one of those films that you only need to see once, and stays with you forever...A+

No comments:

Post a Comment