Sunday, April 21, 2013

Movies in Review: "Oblivion"

I can't say that I was really looking forward to this movie. The trailer was ok, but for some reason I find myself less interested in seeing Tom Cruise in a movie. I enjoyed the images in the trailer, but there didn't seem like much of a story. Well....I was right about one part...

Tom Cruise, to my surprise, was really good. I enjoyed him very much, as well as his co-star Andrea Riseborough, who plays Jack's assistant, Victoria. Their chemistry kept my interest through the beginning of the movie, and I was very interested to see where the story would lead. Unfortunately, the story lead to nowhere interesting. I enjoyed the techie gadgets, and the action sequences, but the storyline failed miserably. By the time we were given the back story of the characters, the movie was almost over. I think they spent too much time with the lame love story, and should have developed the characters better.

The "Resistance" characters weren't used enough in my opinion. We would see shots of one or two of them following Jack around, but they were only in about 2 scenes. I have no idea how they survived, how many there really were, and how they were even surviving...smh. Also, did Freeman's character know Jack before the takeover? I think the writers made the story bigger than what it needed to be and lost focus. The ending slowly fell into oblivion without a satisfying ending in sight. By time the credits rolled there were far too many unanswered questions...smh. So needless to say, the ending was horrible.

As negative as my review may sound, I am still on the fence about my rating for this movie because I enjoyed the beginning, and Cruise, but this movie failed miserably at the end. There is no rush to go out and see this one because most of you will likely leave the theatre disappointed. But it's not a bad watch if you catch it in a Red Box, or on Netflix...C+

No comments:

Post a Comment