Monday, April 1, 2013

Movies in Review: "G.I. Joe: Retaliation"

I have anticipated this movie for almost a year. I know I was probably the only one anticipating this one especially since most people and critics didn't like the first one. I happened to like it though. I was not a fan of Tatum as Duke, but I was looking forward to seeing the 2nd installment of this movie, especially with the addition of Dwayne Johnson :) (super duper smile)

Omg...this movie was a mess and a half. First off when you walk in to see this movie, you have to forget everything that was presented in the first movie or you will find yourself screaming WTF! The Joe's in this movie are a downgrade from what they were in the first movie. They were super soldiers in the first movie, and are just soldiers in this one. This movie is less comedic than the first and has more serious action sequences. As far as Tatum, I enjoyed his and Johnson's chemistry together. That was the best part about the movie, unfortunately it didn't last long.

There are a number of things that made this second movie suck. The Joe team was revamped, so there were all new characters...too many in my opinion. The story for this film was all over the place and did not mesh well. For example wth was Snake Eyes doing halfway across the country away from the other Joe's. And who thought it was a good idea to add The RZA and Bruce Willis...horrible.

One of my favorite sequences in the trailer was the sword fighting on the side of the mountain. Well in the film, his sequence is less spectacular. The fighting sequences were also weak. I love Storm Shadow, but I could have sworn he died in the first movie...right?

I felt that Dwayne Johnson was a great addition, but thats what he should have been, and addition, not the takeover. It is clear that they tried to take the Joe's in a new direction, but there was little interesting about the new Joe's or the actors/actresses that played them. I was expecting more, but left the theatre very disappointed...C

No comments:

Post a Comment