Sunday, April 7, 2013

Movies in Review: "The Place Beyond the Pines"

I am anything Gosling, so of course I was looking forward to seeing this film. The fact that it also starred Bradley Cooper was just icing on the cake. I was a bit leery though when watching the trailer. It reminded me of that movie Drive, which Gosling also starred in, which I was not a fan of. But I brushed my feelings off and was hoping to have an enjoyable experience.

I liked it, although It seemed strangely written. Once one character's story ended, another began. That's kinda how the story played out to me. It was weird, but I like weird as long as it makes sense, and this did. I definitely enjoyed Gosling's character in this film than in "Drive", not to be comparing the two. There is real crime action, and it is hilarious. This isn't a comedy, but it will be hard for you to not find humor in some of the crime scenes. I also enjoyed Cooper, and would agree with critics and say that this is one of his best performances. Although I also enjoyed his performance in Silver Linings, the character he plays in Beyond the Pines is different from any other character I've seen him play. The only complaint I have about the film is with the young actor who plays Cooper's teenage son. He left a bad taste in my mouth, and I cringed at every scene he was in. Thank goodness there were very few.

This movie is gritty and will have you anticipating each scene. Its a modest film like Silver Linings that gets by with an exceptional story and character performances...A-!

No comments:

Post a Comment