Monday, March 5, 2018

Movies in Review: "Red Sparrow"


It has been a while since a movie has filled me with excitement. Much have been the same old mundane plots inserting different actors. This is how I felt when I watched the trailer for this film. It reminded me of Atomic Blonde, which I was not the biggest fan of. However I was willing to give this film a go as my only other choice was Death Wish, and you couldn't pay me to see that. I wasn't expecting much, but I did feel I chose the better of the 2 movies released this weekend ~shrugs.

You know...I like me some Jennifer Lawrence. Much respect to her performance in this film because if it wasn't for her I probably would have been sleeping. This young lady really knows how to dive into a role and pull it off. I was really surprised by this role as this film was very sexual in content. So much so, I found myself squirming uncomfortably in my seat during some scenes. I love a good spy thriller, but this one added very little new and was very reminiscent of other films. There were some very interesting and attention grabbing torture scenes, but the film lacked the action it so desperately needed. The story dragged a bit at times as I found myself dosing off at least once. The running time could have been shortened. It felt as if this movie was trying to do too much. Joel Edgerton co-starred but didn't really shine or feel present in this film. I'm used to seeing better performances from him :/.

All in all, it's a decent film. Jennifer Lawrence's performance is worth seeing. The story will feel familiar, but the added torture and sexual content will get you through, or having you cringe in your seat...lol. I didn't hate it, but I could take it or leave it. However if you've seen everything else and are choosing between this and Death Wish, this one is the winner hands down...C+

No comments:

Post a Comment