Monday, March 26, 2018

Movies in Review: "Pacific Rim Uprising"

I was a huge fan of the first film, so it didn't take much for the sequel to get on my radar. It didn't hurt that the rock 'em sock 'em trailer featuring the Tupac track had me all types of hype when it came on. John Boyega starring in this sequel was just the icing on the cake, and I was here for all of it. I loved the robot/Kaiju battles in the first film, so my expectations were on another level for what would be delivered in this film.

This film definitely had more fight battles, but unfortunately not half as exciting as I had hoped they would be. There was only so much punching, pushing and throwing each other around I could take. I was really expecting more. I was especially disappointed that the robots were the same old machines used in the first film. I was definitely expecting an upgrade. The kaiju monsters were phenomenal, but also looked completely impossible for those small robots to beat ~shrugs. I enjoy the new cast, for the most part, especially John Boyega and the young actress who played Amara, she was great. Boyega made this movie for me, with his over the top personality, he stole every scene. He brought fresh energy this film was lacking. I wasn't the biggest fan of the fighters being so young in this film. It also didn't help that there was little background information on any of them, so it was hard to connect with the characters. They just seemed like space fillers ~shrug.

I didn't hate this film, it definitely had some good things going for it, namely Boyega. However, the film didn't offer anything new and fresh from the first film. Boyega's performance is about the only thing memorable about this sequel...C-

No comments:

Post a Comment