Monday, January 22, 2018

Movies in Review: "Den of Thieves"

I love a good heist thriller, and with a cast like this it was hard not to expect something great. The trailer boasts strong bravado, which can be overpowering, but seemed to work in this trailer. I liked the "good" guy’s vs "bad" guy theme in the trailer. I was expecting great action and a story that would live up to what I loved so much in the trailer...and somewhat it did...

This film is very reminiscent of other great action heist thrillers like The Town, however failing to fully live up to it. It had everything going for it, but didn't have a cohesive story-line to keep it tight and in control. I love the actor O'shea Jackson Jr. is becoming, and I loved his character in this film. Curtis Jackson, along with Gerard Butler, and Pablo Schreiber provided the muscle and bravado. If you look past the impossibilities of this heist, it wouldn't be a bad movie. However, although some parts of the story are fairly decent, there a still plenty that will have you giving this film the side eye. The movie had a great build up, then towards the end started to take a nose dive for me. Although I loved the twist, it felt like a desperate move to save this film, which actually worked a little...lol.


I keep getting asked if this film is worth seeing. If you set your expectations a little low, I would say this movie is definitely entertaining to watch. However if you are expecting something extraordinary, you might find yourself leaving the theater a little disappointed like I did. The ending helped to boost my grading for this film, although the ending felt like desperation...C+

No comments:

Post a Comment