Monday, March 27, 2017

Movies in Review: "Power Rangers"

Ok I have to make it clear, I'm not a Power Rangers fan. I've never watched the show because at the time I thought it looked corny. When I first watched the trailer for the film, I had the same feelings I shared for the show except the film starred the young actor RJ Cyler. I was first introduced to this young man's talents in the phenomenal movie Me and Earl and the Dying Girl (if you haven't seen it, you need to see it). I loved him in that movie and seeing him in the Power Rangers definitely sparked some interest in the film. However, I still had planned to pass on this movie until my son starting begging to see it. This was the determining factor that got me into the theater. I wasn't expecting much, was just there to spend time with my kid.

Wow...I went in ho-hum, but walked out of the theater quite pleased. The movie wasn't bad at all. It was a little corny at times, but I think that is to be expected. I enjoyed the young actors they had playing this Power Rangers, they were very interesting, especially the boys, the girls were just ok. RJ Cyler was definitely my favorite. This young man is going to go far, he is a phenomenal talent. The other Power Rangers were great, but his personality shined the brightest. I think that the film took longer than I thought before we actually got a chance to see the Power Rangers in action, however, once they got going, it was amazing and fun to watch. There are some very humorous moments in the final action scene that kids and adults will enjoy.

I was very pleased with this film. It was definitely the young actors and costumes that made this movie so much fun to watch. The Power Rangers were really badass and entertaining. I know the theater was filled with Power Ranger fans, but it was the only film I watched this weekend that received and applause when the credits rolled...B+

No comments:

Post a Comment