Monday, December 19, 2016

Movies in Review: "Fences"

I was so sad that I was unable to catch the play when it was on Broadway and starred Denzel Washington. However when I watched the trailer, I was beyond happy, and totally looking forward to the release of this film. What sparked my interest even more about this film was that Denzel would also be in the director's chair....Yaaaaasssssss. The screenplay for the film was written by the late August Wilson, and finished right before his death in 2005. I am pleased that the release of this film has finally arrived.

I can see why August Wilson is 2 time Pulitzer Prize winner for Drama. I not as familiar with all of his work, but the writing in this film gave me goosebumps. There were more than a few lines that had reacting with an "Amen"...wow. To add to the writing you have Viola Davis and Denzel Washington giving us Oscar Winning performances in both their respective roles. By the end of the film I was giving a standing ovation for them both, especially Denzel who also did a hell of a job in the director's chair. There is nothing I can say badly about this film because it is true perfection. I'd like to also recognize the performance given by Mykelti Williamson as Gabriel Maxson. You know this actor from a number of small roles, but the performance he made in this film has shined a light on this man's capabilities. He was everything, and I didn't know he had it in him. He was my favorite character in the film by far.


I went to see 4 films this weekend and 3 of them I absolutely loved, but this one was by far my favorite. This is not a film you need to think about seeing, you just need to go see it...A+

No comments:

Post a Comment