Monday, September 14, 2015

Movies in Review: "The Perfect Guy"

This was the movie to see this weekend. People have been talking about this movie for months since the theatrical trailer was released. I admit the trailer is quite intriguing, but something was telling me this movie wasn't gonna be everything we all hoped it would be. However I was hoping to be proven wrong. So I went into the theater with my fingers-crossed...

Hmmmmm...People may not like what I have to say, but if you think about what I'm about to write, I'm sure you will find yourself in agreement. This movie started out fine, introducing characters, and building up the story, and that was great. But as soon as the crazy turned on, the story went awry. What the hell happened? Seriously? Ealy played the hell out of Duncan, and I applaud his performance. Unfortunately the writing did nothing to give his character the strength that it needed. Where the hell did this Crazy come from? And why was it triggered like that. None of this was answered in the story. We know absolutely nothing about Duncan. The story kept bringing up random stuff the would have given the story some ground, but never went anywhere...ie Duncan's name change, his adoption...Ummmmm...ok. Then there was Leah's stupid girlfriends, and the super random, overly helpful detective. All of the drama was forced, especially that scene with Duncan and David at the bar. That performance was so cliche, as well as the result of their encounter. Please tell me you didn't find it all so predictable, especially the ending.

I seriously wanted to like this movie as much as everyone else, and I did to an extent. Ealy held it down, but everything else happening around him had me sucking my teeth a bit. It was nice to have 2 beautiful men share the screen together, getting half-naked and things, but I still can't overlook the fact that this movie was not a hit. It was entertaining, but I could have watched this on HBO of BET for that matter...C+

No comments:

Post a Comment