Monday, September 29, 2014

Movies in Review: "The Equalizer"

Denzel Washington is one of my all-time favorite actors. There is rarely anything he's starring in that I have missed. But when I watched the trailer for this movie, why did I find myself the least impressed. I was giving this movie the straight side eye, thinking Denzel is too old to play this character (although I didn't know who this character really was), from the trailer it just looked odd. This will probably be the last time I doubt Denzel...what was I thinking...smh...

First off, the character Mr. McCall is too wonderful for words. He is like a breath of fresh air, that person you wish you could cross paths with. As the movie gets going I'm questioning who McCall really is, thinking I wouldn't get an answer. Although a very small part in the movie, I was happy to get some clarity about this man. But many of you may not care about that part when McCall is in action. This movie had a kind on Man on Fire kinda feel, but again, totally different and better. I loved how the action scenes were filmed for Denzel and for us the viewing audience, they were some great scenes to watch. To add to the entertainment value was the casting of Marton Csokas who plays McCall's nemesis Teddy. Teddy will put fear in your heart. Every scene this character was in had me cringing anticipating what he would do. The cat and mouse chase between these two was so entertaining to watch. 

This movie was nothing like I expected, but far better. I enjoyed the light-hearted feel this movie had, especially at the beginning. McCall was an easy character to fall in love with. He had his wits about him, which was played out well by Washington. Although not as good as Man on Fire, but if you liked Man on Fire, then you will definitely enjoy this one...B+

No comments:

Post a Comment