Monday, August 4, 2014

Movies in Review: "Get on Up"

Critics have said great things about this movie, and Chadwick Boseman's performance in the film. I thought I might have been missed something because I watched the theatrical trailer months ago and the movie looked like it would be a hot mess to me. However I decided to give this film a chance because I like Boseman and want him to see him doing well...unfortunately, this wasn't it...smh.

There is no other place for me to start but on hair and make-up. I mean wth was going on with the hair and make-up!? The hair and make-up was so distracting it was hard to really enjoy anything else about the movie. Boseman as an aged Brown looked like his face was plastered and melting. Everyone was wearing lace front looking wigs...awful. What was that opening scene about? I tried my best not to walk out of this movie but when a movie starts out that bad, I'm not expecting much else. It felt like Boseman was doing a comedic impression of James Brown, was I really suppose to take him seriously? Not to mention James Brown was 5'6", and Boseman stands well over 6'0", it just looked odd.

The story was weird, with a directing style that felt a bit all over the place. Was Tika Sumpter really necessary? I didn't understand the performance scene with her and Jill Scott in it. Jill Scott was beautiful, but definitely not one of her best performances. Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer were great, but really didn't have enough screen time to be mentioned...smh. The music was good, but there was only one dance move for each Brown performance...it got boring quick.

I don't understand where the acclaim from critics is coming from. You know a movie is bad when you see people walking out before the movie has ended. I even walked out myself. I'm sorry, but I just couldn't take that make-up and Boseman's crazy imitation of James Brown. This movie may make you Get on Up, but likely so you can walk on out...D

No comments:

Post a Comment