Monday, August 18, 2014

Movies in Review: "Expendables 3"

Really? Another one? After the disappointing second installment of this franchise, I had little desire to see this one. It seems that everyone else felt the same way I did, because this movie was an epic fail at the box office with only $16 million in ticket sales its opening weekend. Even worse, it placed behind that abysmal of a comedy "Let's Be Cops"...smh. Well after seeing this one, let's just hope Stallone got the picture and doesn't waste his time with a fourth.

There is just too much going on in this movie, with the Expendables finding themselves in situations you know there is no possible way for them to survive. But with all that being said, it's still entertaining to watch...lol. What I enjoyed most about this movie were some of the new character additions, including Snipes, whose performance was way better than I expected, Banderas, Grammar, Gibson and Ford. They each brought life into a movie that probably would have been a mess. What I didn't like was the introduction of the younger characters. The new recruits were far less interesting and took away too much screen time that use to be filled with the humorous and entertaining banter among the older crew. Besides the over-the-top action scenes, I found myself mostly bored.

The 3 testosterone filled action scenes in the movie were great to watch, but everything else besides that was a bore. This movie had better actors, who got very little screen time, but this movie lost a lot of its comedic value which made the first one so great. I would wait for RedBox for this one...D+

2 comments:

  1. I liked this movie.. I liked Mel as a villain (that was an interesting surprise). Harrison Ford was a good addition also but what did they do with Bruce. Did they really make it seem like he was killed off.. Anyway... I enjoyed it, I probably should have cameo in this movie myself.
    I have to be honest Kellan Lutz (he was young Hercules last year sometime, he also played in the Twilight Sagas), why the motorcycle scene? I'm not sure that made sense. I guess it was for entertainment purposes.
    I don't ever remember seeing Ronda Rousey anywhere before but she did ok, expect for her first scene in this movie in the club as a bouncer.
    Victor Ortiz... Smh
    Over all I liked the movie... I knew it was going to be over the top, but like TajGreene said, the additional actors to the movie wasn't horrible (maybe she didn’t say it in those words but), each additional (known) actor bought their own twist to this film...
    I would watch it again but it will have to be from my couch at home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the older characters were great. The younger characters made the movie drag. The movie wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great either. Action scenes were sparse, I found myself nodding off a few times. Too many of my favorite characters didn't get much screen time, so I can't say I'll be watching this again! lol

      Delete