Monday, February 11, 2013

Movies in Review: "Identity Thief"

Am I the only one who was expecting to laugh out loud at this movie. I have anticipated this film for months. I am a huge fan of Jason Bateman in comedic movies, and was hoping that Melissa McCarthy would deliver the same comedic performance from Bridemaids. When I entered the theatre Sunday afternoon there was no doubt in my mind that I would leave satisfied. Unfortunately...that wasn't the case...

I don't know if my expectations were too high, but everyone else in the theatre seemed to really enjoy the film. It even received a few claps from some movie goers at the end, but I wasn't one of them. I know the only thing you want to know is "Was it funny?". My answer would have to be...not really :/. I chuckled once or twice, and laughed during the snake scene. I dosed off a few times also. Unfortunately for Bateman and McCarthy, the writing wasn't that great, so their characters weren't able to comically shine. The story was a bit all over the place. For the life of me I can't understand why there were so many people chasing after McCarthy's character, and who was the guy in prison? Characters seemed to be thrown in the film to fill up space. Bateman and McCarthy were decent, but I wanted more from the both of them...eh...

I think this film had the potential to be good, but was just ok at best. As I said earlier in this review, the other audience members seemed to enjoy it. Its a cute movie, just don't go in expecting much...C+

No comments:

Post a Comment