Monday, August 13, 2012

Movies in Review: "The Bourne Legacy"

Wow...I was receiving text messages about this movie all weekend. I was unable to see the movie until Sunday, but from everyone's disappointment, I wasn't anticipating seeing this new installment as much as I had been Friday. Once the movie started rolling, within the first 15min, I could see where all the disappointment was coming from.

Right from the beginning it is easy to see and feel the difference of this installment and the previous 3. Legacy is directed by Tony Gilroy, who only wrote the screenplay for the other 3. So fair warning, please don't go in expecting to get the same Bourne feel that you received from the earlier 3 movies. What I had a problem with was the way the movie was sequenced and edited. I don't think that the character Aaron Cross was given a proper introduction. It was like the director just threw the audience into a whole new story without much needed background. I thought Jeremy Renner was great for the part, and I enjoyed him as Cross. I had a problem with the fact that I have no clue where the hell he came from. It seems as if his division was totally different from Jason Bourne. Cross and his group were more like science projects...but why?

Like I said, editing, directing, and character development played a role in making this movie as likable as the previous 3. There was way too much going on that made the story hard to follow. I loved the addition of Norton, and I hope they keep his character, although I am unclear about where he came from...but oh well. Once things finally got rolling, the movie wasn't so bad. There were some unanswered questions, but at least the movie was moving because the first 20-30 min felt like it was swimming in molasses. But the worst part about this movie was the beginning and unfortunately the end. This ending almost killed any substance I was able to salvage from this movie. The ending was less developed than the characters and left you hanging...smh. You know an ending that makes you suck your teeth...yeah its one of those. Bourne isn't horrible, but will likely find a way to leave a bad taste in your mouth...C+

No comments:

Post a Comment