Monday, June 18, 2012

Movies in Review: "Something from Nothing: The Art of Rap"

I don't think I'll ever tire of hip hop documentaries. I remember how rap use to be, and when I see documentaries like these it only emphasizes how much the rap game has changed. Ice-T directs this one and lets some of our legendary old school hip hop artists tell their story.

I am not a die hard hip hop head. But I am a fan of good music, and great lyrics. All you hip hop heads won't want to miss this one. You will find yourself rooting for your old favorites and reciting the lyrics like you're at an old school hip hop concert. This movie is very nostalgic. I was introduced to a few lyricists I wasn't up on, most namely Grandmaster Caz...this dude is Ill...damn I had no idea.

There are a number of artists that you will definitely be happy to see again, and few artists who shouldn't have even been included in this film, like Royce da 5'9, Joe Budden, and Kanye West. Although I love Kanye...he just didn't seem to fit in this bunch.

This documentary is not playing everywhere, but if it is in your area, and you love hip hop music, go check this one out...B+

No comments:

Post a Comment