Sunday, November 20, 2011

Movies in Review: "The Descendants"

The Descendants is a comedy drama that seemed to be filled more with drama than comedy. This is not to say that you won't laugh, but the dramatic life situations told in the story doesn't seem like much to laugh at. I found this movie to be very emotional and real. I don't think there is anyone who won't be able to relate to the family drama that takes place. Drama that includes infidelity, family business, problems with your children's behavior, the death of a spouse. All were touched on in this story, and touched on very well I might add. It was a little drawn out, and a bit melodramatic, but still a great story.

I thought George Clooney did a great job as Matt King. As an "absent father" having to step in when his wife is hospitalized due to a boating accident. To see him having to adjust to his "new" position looked very realistic. I enjoyed the two young actresses they had play as his daughters. It felt as if I was watching two real siblings. The material in the story makes it very emotional. I felt that the director did a great job at capturing everyone's emotions when it came to the hospitalization of Clooney's wife. The swimming pool scene being one of my favorites. I cant really say what I enjoyed without giving too much of the story away, and I never want to spoil a movie for anyone. The movie was a bit drawn out, but still a joy to watch. The cast was awesome, and the comedy is there, although subtle. Its not a "drop everything your doing" must see, but definitely worth a matinee, or rental...A-

No comments:

Post a Comment