Monday, June 11, 2018

Movies in Review: "Ocean's 8"

When Ocean's 13 finished there was nothing I wouldn't give to have an Ocean's 14 to follow. However, after the death of Bernie Mac, and George Clooney bowing out a fourth film the idea was totally shelved. Thank goodness for spin-off's right!? I think I came across the theatrical poster for this film before I was able to see the trailer. I was more than intrigued by the poster. I'm all about girl power, and the poster showcased a phenomenal cast of beautiful women. I was here for this. Seeing the trailer only confirmed my desires to see this film. Needless to say, my expectations were high for this one. I was expecting at least what I received from the male version. I know you were too.

I can go on and on about this cast, which was the best part about this film. Their chemistry together made this an entertaining and easy film to watch, just as the Ocean 11 trilogy. Let’s first talk about how absolutely stunning this cast was. Sandra Bullock and Cate Blanchett were giving me life...stunning. Rihanna and Awkwafina's characters gave the cast spunk and flare, and Helena Bonham Carter rules the big screen. There aren't too many actresses who can touch her. She is a gem. All praises to this cast, however the plot was a little less appealing. The story didn't really have the power and strength of the original Ocean 11 films. The heist in this film was a little weak and had far too many plot holes. I can't point them out in this review as mentioning would cause spoilers. It is not hard to see from this film the heist lacked real flare, and honestly the women should have been caught at the end if it played out the way it did in real life...ijs. This was probably the most disappointing part of the movie but, is what I loved so much about the Ocean 11 trilogy ~shrug.

I would have to give this film a nice try. They hit the mark with casting but fell short with the writing of the story. These women could have pulled off a stronger film, but it sometimes felt that they were also being showcased for their beauty instead of their talent. If there is another film (I would see it), keep the same cast, but please write a better story...B-

No comments:

Post a Comment