Monday, June 25, 2018

Movies in Review: "Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom"

I am a huge fan of the Jurassic World franchise and was a big fan on the Jurassic World film. Although I did not expect to see a sequel, I was excited when I saw the trailer for the first time. I seriously can't get enough of these dinosaurs. It is easy to see that I am not alone, as this sequel to Jurassic World shook the box office its opening weekend and too the #1 spot from the animated film Incredibles 2. Jurassic didn't have much competition opening this weekend, with only a few limited released films to compete with. This movie was the only film on my list and I was ready to see what adventures were in store this time.

It was very interesting to see that the trailer was only filled with the first 20min of the film. I felt a little bamboozled when I noticed this. The beginning of the film was not great in my opinion, with new characters and a new villain being introduced, but all of that felt kind of rushed. As a matter of fact, the whole beginning felt rushed. We went from saving the dinosaurs to a volcano explosion, and a mad rush off the island, which would have seemed a little impossible to happen the way it played out in the film ~shrugs. However, there were still some fun and entertaining scenes, especially the scene with the T-rex and the characters Claire and Owen hemmed up in a trailer. That was one of my favorite scenes. For me, the story kind of went downhill from there. There were new intriguing stories that were introduced but were left to develop in the next film...I hope. I wasn't a fan of the lack of dinosaurs and the way they were contained in this film. The focus was on 1 new hybrid and he was just ok in my opinion. The villains in this film were corny, and can someone tell me what happened to Iris, Lockwood's housekeeper and the Nannie of Lockwood's "granddaughter" Maisie. It seemed like her character has a deeper link in the story. Unlike the last film, this sequel left so many unanswered questions that I expect to have answered in the next film.

This movie wasn't bad, but it was just ok for me compared to the first. I wanted a better developed story, but instead got a left with so many unanswered questions and no closure. This third film really needs to come strong because it seemed to have opened a Pandora’s box. I didn't have as much fun with this film as the last, but it still had some entertaining moments ~shrugs. This movie didn't meet my expectations and left me wanting more from the next film...B-.

No comments:

Post a Comment