Monday, June 11, 2018

Movies in Review: "Hotel Artemis"

Hotel Artemis at first glance at the trailer seemed to have so much going for it, a great cast and intriguing premise. Yes, I was definitely into it. Honestly, I was really here for Sterling K. Brown, and that fine ass Dave Bautista, who I kind of have a thing for...ijs. From the trailer it looked like I would be in for an interesting crime drama, and with Sofia Boutella also in the cast I knew there would be some kick ass fight/action scenes. My expectations were about average for this film, and I felt it should be easy to satisfy when walking into the theater.

The best thing going for this film was definitely the cast. However, the story almost killed anything else about it. The story lacked focus, and bits and pieces of stories that were supposed to meld together for an interesting overall drama, but that wasn't the case. It seemed Jeff Goldblum's character would have had a stronger place in the story. Less should have been on what was happening to Sterling Brown's character's brother. This added very little to the story and wasted screen time that could have been directed to a more important element like Jodie Foster character's son. There was a cop mixed in the store and her part was so small, it didn't seem necessary, especially when it seemed she was just thrown into the street...ijs. I'm a huge fan of Jeremy Quinto, but this role wasn't worth his talent at all. He was on screen being an obnoxious raging jerk without purpose.

From what I've written so far it may seem this movie was just horrible. It wasn't great, but it wasn't all bad. There were some great performances from my faves Bautista and Brown, and Boutella was of course strong and amazing. Her story should have been written better though. Charlie Day was entertaining, but sometimes felt like a yapping Chihuahua that you want to shut up. Again, he was entertaining, but at times over the time and loud for little reason. There are a number of things that you will find wrong with this movie. I took joy in the fact that Bautista and Brown were very pleasing on the eye and tickled my funny bone. Unfortunately, I walked out of the theater still thinking maybe I should have taken my chances with the film Hereditary ~shrug...C+

No comments:

Post a Comment