Monday, October 10, 2016

Movies in Review: "Queen of Katwe"

Although I am behind on some of my reviews, I knew I had to make sure I watched this one. You ever watch a trailer and it gives you chills or causes and emotion? This happened to me every time I watched the trailer for this film. Not to mention Lupita Nyonga was starring in it, alongside David Oyelowo, two actors whose work I greatly appreciate and respect. I walked into the theater knowing that all of my expectations would be met, and that I would walk out of the theater smiling, but it far exceeded that.

This movie was like a breath of fresh air, and exactly what I needed. Everything about this movie was great. I loved where, and how the movie was filmed. All scenes had beautiful colors, and although the main character in story lived in the slums, it never felt like the slums. Lupita is getting well deserved praise because she was absolutely remarkable as Phiona's mother Nakku. She was a great representation of every mother who has their child's best interest at heart. I adored her in this role. There is no role that David Oyelowo doesn't kill, and this role is no different...he was perfect. However the best part about the movie were the kids cast in the film. They were amazing, fun and entertaining to watch. That finger popping thing they had going made me smile from ear to ear with each snap of their fingers. This is definitely one of the most inspiring films I have seen in a while. I had no idea the emotions it would bring out of me. I laughed, I cried (I mean seriously shed tears)...it was crazy...lol.

I am so happy someone decided to bring this young girl's story to the big screen. We need to see more stories like this. I left the theater on an emotional high and feeling inspired. Parents with daughters should definitely take their girls to see this...boys are welcomed too...lol. This is one movie that is a MUST SEE for all...A+

No comments:

Post a Comment