Monday, October 24, 2016

Movies in Review: "Moonlight"

Finally...the critically acclaimed film Moonlight, written and directed by a fairly newcomer Barry Jenkins. This film had me intrigued from the release of its first trailer. You ever see a trailer for a movie that feels like poetry? Like everything is in sync and flows. This is what this trailer did for me. I loved that the trailer gave you just a taste of the story, but nothing that gave it all away. I also fell for the theatrical poster, which I would hang on my wall as art...it is a simple and beautiful piece of work. I knew I had to see this film in theaters. Everyone had the same idea this weekend. As a limited release, this film was only showing in 2 theaters and was sold out...Yaaaassssss! Once I saw this I purchased my ticket for a 10am show the next morning.

This movie was well worth me waking up at the crack of dawn and commuting just so I could make my showtime. This movie was everything. It was a work of art that is hard to put in words, but definitely something that needs to be experienced. I loved the way this movie was filmed, it was like poetry in motion. The cinematography heightened the story. It's crazy because the movie wasn't filled with a great deal of verbal dialogue, but delicate moments of body expressions. The musical score was also a masterpiece and injected life into every scene. I was very pleased with all performances, especially newcomer Trevante Rhodes, who plays the adult of the boy's story the story surrounds. The emotion that goes into a role like this and the remarkable way he pulled it off...wow. This young man is definitely one to watch.




It warms my soul to see movies like these, with original stories and great direction, acting, and cinematography, living up to all the hype placed behind it. This movie will hit an emotional cord that will have you thinking about this movie even after leaving the theater...A Must See...A+

No comments:

Post a Comment