Monday, December 28, 2015

Movies in Review: "Joy"

I found the trailer for this movie to be so strange, but intriguing. It's the same way I felt about Silver Linings Playbook, which was an amazing film, and both are directed by the director David O. Russell. Given Russell's previous work, I felt confident that this movie would be better than the trailer had me feeling...and it was.

Russell has the quirkiest way of directing a film. I enjoy what he brings out of his cast and put into their characters. However I honestly had no clue where this movies was headed, and felt a little lost, entertained, but still a little lost at the beginning. Thank goodness for Jennifer Lawrence because she was absolutely perfection as Joy Mangano, the lady who invented the self wring mop (I didn't know this before I watched this movie...lol). She gave me life, and kept the tempo in this film well. Her co-stars were just as great, adding more to the story. This movie had me on an emotional roller coaster, and I loved it.

Please don't be alarmed at the start of this movie if you find yourself lost as to where this story is going. The movie gets on track with some nice build-up, and a fairly decent ending. Any faults with this movie had nothing to do with the cast, just some direction flaws. If you enjoyed Silver Linings Playbook, I think you will also have an appreciation for this one. Although not as outstanding, still very entertaining...B+

No comments:

Post a Comment