Monday, June 30, 2014

Movies in Review: "Transformers: Age of Extinction"

Oh Baby! A new transformers movie that doesn't include Shia Lebouf, who is instead replaced by Mark Wahlberg...yeah I'm with that! I can't tell you how excited I was to see this movie after watching the trailer. I mean come on...I'm thinking with the addition of Wahlberg, this could only be an improvement to the franchise...right? Hmmmmm...well unfortunately, I was sadly mistaken :(. Dang I wanted this movie to be good! But after holding my breathe for 3hrs hoping it would fulfill my expectations, I left the theater sadly disappointed. By the way 3hrs isn't a typo, the movie was that freakin long...smh.

Let me first start this review on a positive note. The best parts about this movie were Mark Wahlberg, who is a huge step above Lebouf playing the lead in these films. Stanley Tucci was another great addition, and actually my favorite character in the  movie. He was hilarious and fun to watch in each scene he was involved. If it wasn't for him I would have likely given up on this movie, and I hope his character will continue to the next installment. The action-effects were also great, and the biggest highlight of the movie, although sometimes it felt like the scenes, although fun to look at, had very little rhyme or reason...eh.

You ever watch a movie that has so much ish in it, your head feels like it's about to explode? Well this is one of those movies. There are just way too many characters, new Autobots, the addition of the Dinobots, new Decepticons, "The Creators" (whoever the hell they are...smh), and some Alien whose main motive is to capture Optimus Prime...smh. The story was so poorly written that character development was left by the waist-side...smh. Hardly anything about this movie made sense, and the characters we love to see (Optimus & Bumble Bee) hardly received any screen time. I think they did Optimus bad. He was a straight up punk in this movie. Bumble Bee was great, but damn I sure could have used more action from him. I was not a fan of Wahlberg's daughter Tess in the film. It's clear she was only cast for looks, as Fox was, but I honestly enjoyed Fox better.

I'm sorry, because I really wanted to enjoy this movie. Instead of leaving the theater excited, I left annoyed and exhausted. They tried to do way to much, and it just didn't work. Everyone keeps talking about how great this movie is, but I can't. If you only want action scenes, and have 3hrs of your life to waste, then this movie is for you. If you want more from a movie, I wouldn't recommend this as a top choice...C- :(

No comments:

Post a Comment