Monday, June 23, 2014

Movies in Review: "Jersey Boys"

I watched the Broadway performance of this story 2 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. When I saw the trailer for the film, I can't say I was too excited until I saw that Clint Eastwood had directed it. The story was beautifully done as a Broadway play, but I didn't know how it would come across as a movie, but with Eastwood at the helm, how bad could it be...

Hmmmmm...well it wasn't as great as I hoped it would be. This movie was directed like a Broadway play being played out in a movie production, which didn't work out so well. Unlike the play, the movie had far less energy. The movie needed more drama to sustain the story and captivate its audience more, because playing it cool as the Broadway play didn't come across so well on the big screen. The musical performances were great, but the story was lacking in so many areas. The costumes and acting performances were also better in the play.

I figured the only reason this movie was released was to reach audiences who are unable to see the play...and I get that. But let me just tell you, if you're ever in NY, your money would be better spent on Broadway. But on a positive note, I do love the theatrical poster...lol...C+

No comments:

Post a Comment