Monday, June 16, 2014

Movies in Review: "22 Jump Street"

When I first watched the trailer for this film, I liked it and was looking forward to the movie. However as time went on and the hype behind this new installment grew, my interests and expectations decreased. Btw...this is the first time this has ever happened to me, because once I get excited about a movie, I'm usually excited until it's premiere...but I honestly was this close to not going to see this movie this weekend. After skimming a few reviews this morning, it seems that I am not in the majority with my feelings about this movie.

I was less impressed, but instead more annoyed than anything. I felt like Channing and Hill were trying too hard to be funny that it just came off corny...to me anyway. Don't get me wrong, there were some funny scenes and characters, like the jail scene with Mr. Walters (a character I was sad to see have such a small role), I loved the Yang twins (they made all their scenes more interesting) and Mercedes a new character played by Jillian Bell. I found Mercedes to be hilarious in every scene she was in...for the most part. The problem I had with this movie is sometimes they let the characters ad-lib too much. I wasn't a fan of the story, which was just a lame college version of the first movie. All I kept thinking while watching was "Why is this movie so damn long?". I was bored halfway through it...am I the only one?

I found it surprising to read all the positive reviews for this movie. When things like this happen sometimes I sit back and question myself. But I stand by my review on this one. Now maybe I should have watched this one high or drunk, and perhaps this perspective may have made for a more entertaining movie. It is clear that if you came out of the theater loving this movie...you were drunk...ijs. I didn't hate it, but I have definitely laughed harder and enjoyed myself more at other comedies. You can give this one a go if you want, but it isn't worth more than a matinee...if that...C+

No comments:

Post a Comment