Sunday, June 30, 2013

Movies in Review: "White House Down"

What is every one's infatuation with the take over of the White House? This movie looks just like that horrible movie Olympus Has Fallen, except in the place of Gerard Butler we now have the incomparable Channing Tatum. Needless to say I had no interest to see this movie at all, but it is being marketed as a huge summer blockbuster, so I felt it necessary that I give it a chance.

I can honestly admit that I enjoy how comfortable Tatum is in almost any role he takes on. It makes him more fun to watch. Unfortunately he seemed miscast as John Cale, a Capital Police Officer who is also the father of a 10yr old daughter. Honestly it was the daughter situation that didn't fit. Tatum looked more like his daughter's older brother than father. But he wasn't the only one who felt miscast. I also disliked Foxx in the role as The President. He didn't sound like a politician, didn't look like a politician. Honestly it felt like Foxx was doing a skit, and I was waiting for the punch line...smh. I was hoping this would be the end of my complaints, but unfortunately not. I usually enjoy the young actors that are cast in most films but the young lady who played Tatum's daughter was absolutely horrible. There wasn't a believable ounce of emotion coming from her. Needless to say, the acting performances were weak, with the exception of Gyllenhaal.

There were still parts of the movie I did enjoy, like the action. The action was decent, although not a thrilling as it needed to be. Some of the action sequences were too unbelievable, like that they made Tatum's character run faster than a speeding bullet...smh. I also enjoyed the lawn chase scene, but it dragged on longer than it needed to. And was it just me, or was that the longest 8min ever...Oh and one last complaint...this movie is way too long...

My advise for this one is to wait to see it on DVD or catch it on TV. I wouldn't give up 2+ hrs of my life to pay to see this one...C-

No comments:

Post a Comment