Sunday, May 12, 2013

Movies in Review: "The Great Gatsby"

This film had one of the best theatrical trailers I have seen in a while. I have never read the book, but the trailer caught my attention enough for me to anticipate its release. This movie is slated to be another summer blockbuster, but I don't think that it is going to perform in theaters as well as the people behind the film would hope. All I can say is that anyone I spoke to who read the book, said they had no interest in seeing the film. Honestly, if it was for DiCaprio, I probably would have passed on this myself.

I did buy a 3D ticket because I wanted the full effect of the visuals that enticed me in the trailer. Unfortunately my money wasn't well spent. There is very little 3D action in the film, so my advise is that you save your money. The visuals in the film were ok, but far less thrilling than they appeared in the trailer, which I found to be disappointing. However, DiCaprio looked absolutely AMAZING! Someone please tell me if CGI was used to make him look that was...he was flawless. DiCaprio has yet to fail me in a film yet, and this movie is no different. I enjoyed him and Carey Mulligan, but Tobey McGuire felt miscast. He made the movie feel awkward, and didn't fit in my opinion. Another thing that didn't fit was the musical soundtrack in the film. Instead of adding to the scene, the music often felt out of place and I found it to be distracting in some of the scenes.

I found it interesting that the movie played out nothing like the trailer. The trailer made the film look like a drama, but the film seemed to play out like a dark comedy...it was weird. I didn't love this film, but I can't say that I hated it either. It was kind of weirdly entertaining, but possibly more weird than entertaining...lol. I enjoyed the love story Daisy and Gatsby, but the rest of the story got somewhat lost in translation. I enjoyed pieces of this movie, but there were far more pieces that didn't seem to fit that keeps me from giving this movie a highly positive mark. Gatsby failed to be great, but was just ok. I would wait for the video, or maybe sneak in the theatre to see this one...C+

No comments:

Post a Comment