Monday, August 13, 2018

Movies in Review: "BLACKkKLANSMAN"

Okaaaaaayyyyyy...so I have to admit, I wasn't really sure about this film. I haven't enjoyed a Spike Lee movie since his 2008 flick Miracle at St. Anna. I watched the trailer for this flick and I wasn't sure how to take it. I thought the trailer was decent enough, but you know how Lee can get with a flick sometimes. What you expected from the trailer has a way of turning out very differently from the film. However, I decided to take my chances, mainly because I'm a fan of Adam Driver, and the film also stars Denzel Washington's son John David Washington in his first lead role. All I know if John David is anything like his father, I will be here for it, so this movie got my money. I have low expectations when it comes to Lee these days, so I wasn't expecting much.

Wow...just wow...this movie is a must see. I don't say this about many films, but when I say it, I mean it. This movie is so riveting and provoking. It will have your mind, eyes and ears open. This has to be one of Lee's best films. It seemed damn near perfect. I loved the way this film was directed. The imagery was exceptionally stunning, especially during the scene when the character Kwame Ture was speaking. Lee has a way of directing some real thought provoking films, but this once exceeds all others. The writing for this film deserves an Oscar. John David held down this lead role just as we'd get from his father. Although John David at times sounds just like his father, which was a little eerie, he has his own style that shines, an exceptional actor. I loved that the sold-out audience I viewed it with was a very mixed crowd. As you know, this film was released on the 1yr anniversary of the Charlottesville Riots in which Heather Heyer was killed. The end of the film is when things got real. This movie based on a true story was based in the early 70's. Lee gives us the live footage of the Charlottesville Riots at the end of the film. A rally that happened in 2017. Opening everyone's eyes to our progression, or lack thereof ~sips tea.

This movie is everything. Believe me when I tell you. By the time credits rolled the audience I viewed it with sat in their seats stunned, then awkwardly exiting the film with applause. Standing ovation for Lee for this one...A+

No comments:

Post a Comment