Monday, October 16, 2017

Movies in Review: "Marshall"

I remember when I first saw the theatrical poster for this film there was nothing that had me thinking it was about the late Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall. The reason is because Chadwick Boseman was the person on person with the word "Marshall" underneath. I seriously thought it was a movie about cops?...maybe?...lol. I didn't know, and at the time, didn't care. I would go see anything Boseman was in, except that James Brown film he starred in, which I'm still wishing I could get my money back for...lol. It wasn't until I watched the trailer did I finally get the scoop on this biographical drama, that left me a little baffled at their choice for Boseman to play this role. I'm sure most of you are/were thinking the same thing. I seriously had a hard time getting my head wrapped around seeing this film based mostly on the fact that Boseman looked nothing like Marshall. Once I calmed down, I realized this was a silly reason not to see this film. So I shook it off and headed to the theater...

Anyone who still has a problem with Boseman not looking like Marshall you aren't doing yourself any favors by not seeing this film. I admit it was hard at times to visually see Thurgood Marshall, but Boseman's performance was so great at times it felt like all I could see was Marshall. Sometimes Boseman can be a little too dramatic and extra with some emotions, but I felt he was more spot on in this film. He's a great dramatic actor, I will definitely give that. I haven't seen emotion like he gives on the screen since Denzel Washington, and Nate Parker (yes I'm a huge fan of Parker's). The story focuses on the beginning of Thurgood Marshall's career, and one case in particular. Thurgood Marshall's work for people of color is powerful and riveting and I was more than happy to experience a small piece of his story, which was very well done in my opinion. Josh Gad was a great co-star as Counsel Sam Friedman. Gad is a great comedic actor, but can also switch it up. He and Boseman worked well together and made it a very entertaining film.


I forgot how much I enjoy a good courtroom drama until I saw this film. Watching the story play out had me locked to the screen as all the pieces were being put together, and obstacles were being hurdled, all the stuff that good courtroom dramas are made of. Yes there are a million actors who favor Thurgood Marshall more physically, but I don't think many could have matched Boseman's performance...B+

No comments:

Post a Comment