Monday, October 19, 2015

Movies in Review: "Bridge of Spies"

I'll admit, this trailer wasn't the most interesting cold war thriller trailers I've seen. Actually I thought the trailer was kind of dull. The only thing that did pique my interest in this film was Tom Hanks, who I have an undercover crush on. I love me some Hanks, and always enjoy any movie he headlines. Unfortunately, I think many people felt the same way I did about the trailer because this movie ranked #3 for this weekend's ticket sales, even falling behind The Martian, Which has been out for 3 weeks now...smh. Although the trailer didn't appease me, I was confident I was in for more than the trailer was letting on.

Thank goodness I went bet on Tome Hanks because I got a movie I thoroughly enjoyed. However I don't think many of you will find the appreciation I found for it. The movie isn't fast paced at all, kind of moves at a nice steady medium pace. For those of you who like big theatrics, and over the top action, you also won't find that here. The thrills in this movie are presented in the most subtle way. Just enough to keep you interested throughout its 2 hour running time. The best part about this movie was the script and the performances. Tom Hanks was superb as lawyer James B. Donovan. It is hard not to be captivated by this man's performances. I also enjoyed the character Rudolf Abel who had one of the most profound line's in the movie "Would it help?" The movie has a way of appearing to lose focus, due to a few subplots that all work cohesive for the story.

This one has everything that matters going for it. I smiled when I left the theater having spent my money on a theatrical work of art. I love it when movies get back to what matters, story, writing, directing, performances, all on point. If you appreciate a GOOD movie without all the bells and whistles, then this is one I think you will enjoy...A!

No comments:

Post a Comment