Monday, April 13, 2015

Movies in Review: "Woman in Gold"

There was nothing too spectacular about the trailer for this film. I am a huge fan of Helen Mirren, but I can't even say she was the reason I wanted to see this movie. It definitely wasn't Ryan Reynolds, who I adore, but his movie roles have been less than exceptional as of late. But I do adore movies based on true stories. It also helped that the film was based around that beautiful gold portrait of Adele by Gustav Klimt. There aren't many art pieces that catch my eye, or spark any interest, but this would definitely be one of those pieces that does.

Hmmmm...what do I say about this movie??? It was weird because I enjoyed it, but it had a monotone feel throughout it. There was very little that was moving about it. The history behind the painting was nice, but lacked power in the movie. I guess I got a little annoyed by the back and forth between present day and the Holocaust. The story felt a little empty in some areas, like I wish there was more about Maria's Aunt Adele. There were so many elements in the story some of it felt a little unfinished. The performance by Mirren and Reynolds were great. No disappointment there, but the story felt too easy...if you know what I mean.

Again I enjoyed the movie, but if I hadn't seen it, I think I would have been ok with that too...unfortunately. If you're interested in the arts and history films based on true stories, this one is ok. I'd do a matinee, but you might find a RedBox rental more suiting...C+

No comments:

Post a Comment