Monday, April 14, 2014

Movies in Review: "Draft Day"

Go Kevin...Go Costner....Go Kevin...This is the song I sing in my head when I see movie posters of sexy Kevin Costner. Va va va voom! I am so happy to see my geriatric crush come out of a retirement of sorts...lol. Now this is not to say that I have enjoyed all his latest performances/films, but who cares...it's freaking Kevin Costner! There was no way I was going to miss Draft Day. With Kevin Costner at the lead and football being one of my favorite sports, I could smell a winner. I'm lying, I wasn't expecting it to be that good actually...lol...Thank goodness it was better than I expected.

This movie is filmed all in a 24hr period on draft day. We get to see Costner's character Sonny Weaver the GM of the Cleveland Browns work to pick the best players for his team, while dealing with all the other BS and influences around him. I know overall this movie wasn't great, but I rather enjoyed it. I loved the way the 2-way phone conversations were filmed. It kept these scenes interesting instead of having them look like simple phone convo, it added some needed intensity. The characters were fun, including Costner, who I really enjoyed in this role. Gardner isn't a fave of mine, but I really enjoyed her as Ali Parker. She brought a nice bit of strong femininity to an office full of testosterone, and made her points with such style. I also enjoyed the intern (whose name misses me), who brings a nice bit of humor to the story.

Maybe it's because I am a fan of football, but I was really tuned into this movie. It was really fun to watch. It's not a blockbuster hit, but I definitely look forward to seeing it again when it comes on TV. I would recommend this one for sure. It's one of those easy-going, entertainment worthy flicks...B

No comments:

Post a Comment