Monday, September 23, 2013

Movies in Review: "Prisoners"


I have been anticipating this movie for weeks now. The trailer had everything in it to capture my attention, a great cast and I love thrillers. The positive buzz around this film also heightened my anticipation, so needless to say I couldn't wait to purchase my ticket. Unfortunately, I can't say I was as thrilled coming out of the theater, as I was going in :/

Don't get me wrong, the movie wasn't horrible. I thoroughly enjoyed the performances, especially Hugh Jackman, and to my surprise, also Terrance Howard. Viola Davis and Maria Bello were also great, but don't hate me, but I found myself being totally annoyed with Gyllenhaal in this role, and he is one of my favorite actors. I just couldn't understand his actions in some scenes, but that could be because I didn't see the relevance in a the way some of the scenes played out. There seemed to be way too many subplots added to this movie, extending the running time 40min longer than it needed to be.

For example I found the plot with the character Bob Taylor to be underdeveloped, and by the end I couldn't clearly understand the relevance of his character. Like can anyone tell me the reason for him sneaking in the Dover's and Birch's house?...weird. I enjoyed Paul Dano's character, but felt that his character could have added more to the plot of the story. I was hoping to find out why he was just sitting alone in the rain in the trailer, and then drives himself into a tree? And after of week of him whispering, and getting beat up, I was over it. I also thought the Priest's plot was too short and could have been a stronger plot for the story. I have a question though, was I the only one who thought that the scene with Jackman moving the corvette dragged? It dragged on so long, I was really expecting more by the end of it...smh.

Unfortunately, for me this movie was way too long, and far less thrilling than I had hoped it would be. Scenes and some plots had a tendency to drag, and others were too underdeveloped. The movie wasn't horrible, but I think the buzz surrounding it is too hyped. You won't be totally disappointed, but you may feel a little better seeing a matinee...B

No comments:

Post a Comment