Sunday, July 21, 2013

Movies in Review: "Red 2"

I will be the first to say that I was not a fan of the first Red, and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the trailer for this second installment. It seems that I was one of a few who didn't love the first movie. For this reason I decided to give this 2nd movie a fair chance hoping to get the enjoyment that apparently was over my head in the first movie. I went into this movie with little expectation, but left the theatre feeling the same way I had felt about the first movie...smh.

This movie obviously does not appeal to me. Don't get me wrong. I didn't totally hate it, there were some performances and characters that made parts of this movie enjoyable for me. Mirren and Malkovich are always great. Willis was God awful as always, but Mary Louise Parker made him easier to bear. But I seriously wish they would replace Willis, he brings the movie down. But he wasn't the only one. They added Catherine Zeta Jones, and dressed her in an awful tan and directed her to speak in a ratchet Russian accent...Womp Womp. Zeta wasn't the best addition, but I did enjoy Hopkins Lee Byung-hun, especially Byung-hun. Ladies let me tell you as much as I disliked this movie, it is still worth seeing just to get a look at Byung-hun's body on the big screen...yeah I'm still drooling...But besides his body he was one of the most entertaining characters in the movie.

The action for the film was decent, although Jones and Willis's car scene played out better in the theatrical trailer than it did in the movie. I did however enjoy the action car sequence Mirren was in...very cute.

If you were a fan of the first movie, it is likely you will find yourself a fan of this one. The story was a little crazy at times, but I did find this one to have stronger characters which made it more interesting. But I can't say I can call myself a fan...C

No comments:

Post a Comment