Monday, May 1, 2017

Movies in Review: "The Circle"

So I seriously thought I was going to be in for a treat with this techno-thriller. Thrillers are definitely some of my favorite films, and one with a technology premise, even better. With the intriguing trailer and stellar cast, I knew this was a movie I had to see. If you can't tell by now, I walked into the theater with fairly high expectations that I felt should have been easily met...unfortunately I was 100% wrong with this one.

This movie was bad from the opening credits...honestly. There really wasn't great character or story development in this film. The movie kind of jumped all over the place with scenes that involved the main character played by Emma Watson. To be quite honest, it did this throughout most of the film. I was expecting scenes and story lines to lead to something bigger and thrilling, but each sub plot fell flat and this movie never really reached the climax it needed. Honestly, there was very little thrilling about this film. It definitely didn't have the story innovation or excitement I got from other techno-thrillers like Nerve. The story seemed to meander into inescapable pit with no way out...and then the movie was over...smh. The ending was the camel that broke the camel's back for me. The simple, empty ending pretty much summed up what this movie was. 


I haven't been disappointed like this in a while, especially with a film that had such huge potential for its cast alone. Goes to show that even a film full of talented actors can't save a film that isn't written or directed well. There is really nothing to see here. I promise if you go see this film, this is the face you will have throughout...D+


No comments:

Post a Comment